Monday, May 27, 2024

Dolomball: so about those developments...

Following up from the previous post - moving at what for me counts as "lightning speed," I put together the new cards and ran a solo test, and it worked really well.  Running through it once highlighted a bunch of annoying interactions and ambiguities that I will need to fix, but the core idea was good.  A side benefit that I noticed was that the game felt faster when playing just one card at a time than when it was sets of cards locked into a certain order and having to pause every three turns to think through the next set.  On the other hand, I noticed that, even with the overall mechanics feeling more lively and exciting now, the game still started to feel like it was dragging by the time I was about 2/3 through the deck.  Maybe it's just because it was me and two dummy players rather than three actual people interacting around the table, but for now I'm thinking that the win condition will need to be adjusted so the game ends while it's still exciting.  I'll see what happens with the next live test.

Oh, and I need to change the font again so the cards look cool but also are easy to read correctly.  It still astonishes me how much getting into game design has made me care about typefaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just rip my lungs out, Jim

Massive overhaul on Werewolves of London after the last playtest, and then got to test the new version yesterday. New map - focusing on Inn...