Sunday, February 25, 2024

Dolomball: a look ahead (maybe)

I was chatting with another designer today, talking about my struggles with updating Dolomball after the recent playtest, and he gave me a great idea - put everything on the intersections rather than in the spaces.  This means that movement follows a hex pattern, which some players find easier to manage, while allowing me to keep the triangle grid (because I'm leaning hard into the 3s and I'd like to keep it that way).  It will also make it easier to quickly process which way things move when they ricochet, since you can just follow the line instead of having to think for a second about which side of the triangle would be correct.  Based on another comment he made, I might also have the balls start out near the goal zones, with one in easy reach of each team, rather than starting in the middle and having the game start with everyone running into the middle of the board.  I like the idea but I'm not 100% settled yet.  Also probably better not to make too many big (untested) changes at once.

And while we were talking I made progress on getting the new action cards together, which I've kind of been sitting on since last time.  Starting with just the basics for now, make sure it feels right, and then I'll add some more complex ones for stuff like team maneuvering or making an opponent fumble a throw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The nice thing about having too many projects at once is bouncing between them

Violet Moon has started going out to publishers, I need a break from revising Neon Knights , so today's work was focused on Dolomball ....