Saturday, February 10, 2024

Dolomball: first playtest

I played Dolomball with two other designers on Break My Game today.  Overall they both liked the premise of the game but felt like, in its current iteration, it moved too slowly to capture the excitement of the sport.  Highlight of the game was when one person got a couple of pieces in the right position to create a really cool chain of passes.  Big changes to make based on the feedback I got today are to increase movement and/or decrease the size of the board, get rid of some of the edge case rules (they liked fighting over the ball when two players reach it at the same time, they didn't like the opposed roll when colliding with another player) and maybe also the "special plays," and make the programming aspect meatier (especially if I can do it in a way that encourages more interaction between the players - right now I have vague ideas about something where correctly predicting an opponent's move will give you some sort of benefit, but I need to work more on that).  They liked having bumpers in the middle of the board but found the shape to be hard to work with.  They didn't like the "stun" effect.  And the two of them disagreed over whether or not the triangular grid worked well, which means I keep it for now but maybe emphasize that when requesting feedback in future playtests.

That's it for now.  I've got a lot to rewrite, and then we'll see when this one can hit the (virtual) table again...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The nice thing about having too many projects at once is bouncing between them

Violet Moon has started going out to publishers, I need a break from revising Neon Knights , so today's work was focused on Dolomball ....