Sunday, July 7, 2024

Dolomball: hitting me with the curveball

Dolomball playtest today.  The new "speed" mechanic worked out well - that was the change I made after last time to replace the rock-paper-scissor system for resolving ties.  Cards are still played simultaneously, but now they resolve in speed order instead of simultaneously, so that takes care of figuring out who gets to the ball first, or who can block someone else's movement.  Besides that, the other players today liked the core of the game but felt like it was more complex than it should be for the kind of game that it is, and that scoring is too slow (I'll refrain from making any soccer jokes here).  Also, they both wanted to be able to plan further ahead and be able to make better predictions about opponents' actions.  Suggestions for me to play around with included making the board smaller and separating movement from action cards.  Need some time to decide what I'm actually going to do with that, but I think it is worth exploring.  Let's see what the next few weeks bring...

------------

In other news, this week I started doing layout work for Neon Knights.  It is simultaneously tedious and exciting.  But I think this is going to end with a book that makes me look only 50% amateur instead of 100%.  Maybe even only 25%, especially if I get in-document hyperlinks to work correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just rip my lungs out, Jim

Massive overhaul on Werewolves of London after the last playtest, and then got to test the new version yesterday. New map - focusing on Inn...